I have always had a fascination with blue collar workwear. There are memories from high school and my twenties where I recall picking up coveralls or some form of overalls at a thrift store to wear around. That never worked out. The workwear was always poor fitting and stood out in the worst way possible for me. Folks assumed I was on my way to a job as a diesel mechanic or janitor. My size didn't help as it simply reinforced the "blue-collar grunt" look. This interest never ceased, it just stood dormant somewhere in the back of my mind.
As my confidence in my own fashion grew, the workwear look itself was growing in popularity. Now, rugged workwear is very much a part of contemporary fashion, with brands like Carhartt WIP appearing. I took this as a signal to develop my own adaptation of the coveralls I always had an affinity to. I also enjoy the popularity of Rompers for women, a simple jumpsuit made in playful fits, patterns and fabrics. This was my chance to develop something that could combine those.
Introducing the first version of my take on the Man Romper.
After some serious deliberation on how to get a Man Romper prototype moving, I decided that modification of an existing coverall would be easiest, so that I wouldn't have to worry about basic proportions. That said, coveralls are very poor fitting, as mentioned above, so there was some significant modifications made to the legs. I'm very happy with version 1 as a prototype and we made very little modification to get it here. Below are some details on the original item used and the modifications.
Coveralls used: Natural Workwear, Mens Short Sleeve Basic Blended Work Coverall
Sizes used: XL & XXL, XL pictured at bottom and was a little too tight to function
Modifications: Cutdown collar considerably and re-shaped, took up sleeves, took up legs to above knee, tapered legs in considerably (~3.5")
Special thanks to my bud Julia for being a master fashion designer and sewer to help on this projects. V2 coming soon.